Major Flaw - Delete Homebase data via camera

Hi folks, I’ve found myself here due to having one of our 2c cameras stolen last night. I’m simply amazed that this flaw exists. We have 2 more cameras which I’m now sure will be targeted by the scrote that stole the last one so I’ve lost all faith in this chocolate fireguard. I bought these from Anker via Amazon about 8 month ago, what’s the chances on getting a refund on these due to this just not being fit for purpose. TIA.

Pete

3 Likes

Sad that Eufy won’t fix the basic security flaws that let thieves delete video and reset cameras (allowing them to be provisioned on another account without permission from the owner) with a push of a button on the external cameras. The cameras themselves are now a target for thieves as we are now seeing. You need a security system to protect your Eufy security system - just pathetic.

5 Likes

Not a big channel but byteofgeek has picked this up as well https://youtu.be/l1uCyyhDWBw so maybe people are getting wise to this issue.

8 Likes

I was about to buy but found this information on a major flaw that was not resolved after one year. It looks as this is a marketing company that puts its priorities on money making rather than customer satisfaction. Maybe they don’t want to solve the issue in order to promote paid services. Anyway must be very disappointing for customers who have purchased.
This is not the company i want to buy from
And i wonder if all this is legal. Buyers feel deceived because they thought to buy a security system, but in their understanding this is not a security system if any criminal can wipe off videos in 10 seconds on the camera. Deceptive marketing. My purchase decision is reversed.

4 Likes

Just got a 2K doorbell, was thinking about investing in some cameras. That ain’t going to happen. Has no one who was in contact with support any update from EUFY whatsoever?

They aren’t going to fix it. They usually don’t come right out and tell you that, but that’s the bottom line. This is fixable, but they would have to spend time and money on it instead of pumping out more gear with the same flaws. I was one of the users that did inital testing and they appeared to be working on it, but then they gave up and kept telling me it would take more time.

My testing was done in March of 2021 and the orginal post, that Eufy deleted, was done in January 2021. That time period shows that they have no intention of fixing the problem.

At this point, I don’t think their software group is capable of creating a fix. The app and firmware keeps getting more bloated and buggy with each new release. No one appears to have a vision of where they are going with their products. I am in the process of switching out my Eufy gear because of that.

5 Likes

The ticket I opened on Mar 5, 2021 is #90819924. See what they say. I have given up asking at this point.

3 Likes

Yesterday, I contacted support by phone about another issue and asked about the Sync issue and if they were going to fix it.

They are back on “its working by design” again. The same BS they tried to use initially and no one bought into. I guess this should answer everyone’s questions about whether they will fix this issue.

4 Likes

Firstly, thank you to everyone for their time in trying to get this resolved and sharing here. I did research over a year ago but only came across this issue when looking up new Eufy models (to recommend to my client but I also use cameras at home which I will now have to replace).

Definitely needs more attention to warn potential buyers, especially if Eufy is endorsing this issue as “working by design” and the company stance is to ignore this.

Shouldn’t be that hard for Eufy tech to allow the last few videos of any camera removed/unsynced to be available on the app as a temporary copy. More a work around but at least you have evidence and recording if someone steals or resets a cam.

If anyone can recommend another option that doesn’t require monthly subscription or cloud (i.e. saves on homebase) that would be a life saver. Will be help me smooth things over with my clients; they will not be happy when I tell them Eufy cams are basically useless and they need to refund it or replace.
Thanks.

This message is not intended as a “fix and I buy”. First impressions matter and I really distrust a security company who takes this long to actually make a registration of a theft the devices mean to detect impossible for any thief with a few brain cells and at least one working finger. I think the term “toy manafacturer” mentioned is pretty accurate.

I would like to thank the people here who put in the time struggling with support, tickets and debugging their device for over more than a full year. Your contribution has saved me (and possibly others asking me for tips) the hassle of figuring this out myself and instead go with a reliable option. Thanks a bunch!

1 Like

Wow. I was just about to purchase their 2k doorbell and a few cameras. After seeing this major flaw, I will no longer be making the purchase and I will now be looking at alternative brands. Thanks for bringing this to people’s attention, it’s a shame eufy don’t see this matter is important. The lack of response/action will put me off buying any of eufy’s products going forward.

Yea I know very disappointing from eufy. I already invested a lot in their security infrastructure so am reluctant to throw it away but it’s very worrying and I certainly won’t buy anything else from them!

The thing is it’s such a simple firmware update, either add some 2FA or make it that you need to verify the reset on the doorbell via the homebase.

As soon as one thief learns about this flaw, then it will spread like wildfire :pensive:

I could also imagine some juveniles resetting people’s doorbells for a laugh too…to be fair, if any of my mates have them I may do it to wind them up :joy:

Its not so simple because of the way Eufy designed their hardware. The Sync button is designed to get you out of hung processes and allow return to factory state. If the device cannot communicate, you can’t use 2FA to validate the operation. Once it’s been Sync’d record key is lost for any existing video. The clips still exist, but cannot be retrieved. They did try to mitigate the issue with a software update that kept the existing video using a different key, but ran into other issues and rolled it back.

I am sure its fixable, but they don’t want to devote the resources to fixing it. Not even sure they have the necessary expertise to generate a fix. Instead of at least fixing the issue in newer hardware, they have just ignored it and migrated the flaw into all their new products.
Pretty lame.

Hi, Eufy released EufyCam 3. Any update on if this camera contains a Sync button and if yes is it different compared to previous versions or the same?

Please share if you have any information. Thanks!

I am curious about whether the flaw still persists in new products as well. I know every cam released before the Homebase 3 generation still carries the flaw. If I had to bet, I’d bet Homebase 3 gear does too.

However, not curious enough to spend good money on a system to test. I’ve had enough of Eufy.

Hi,

I am really shocked and disappointed about the 10 seconds sync button video erase “feature”. I have contacted Eufy about this and the answer is ridiculous (it’s designed to keep customers information secure). I really hope that Eufy changed this feature, but I am not really hopeful. Maybe when all customers complain abouth this, Eufy would listen…

People have been complaining about this flaw since Jan. 21. Eufy has gone from “working as designed”, which everyone called bullshit on, to we need 3-4 months to fix it. After 6 months passed, they went back to “working as designed”. Now, you get a number of different excuses, but essentially they aren’t going to fix it. They don’t care that this flaw makes Eufy gear look like a child’s toy instead of a security system.

Thank god I stumbled over this. Was about to jump onto the eufy train by buying around $1000 worth of equipment, but this really kills the deal. Working in tech myself I get it, bugs exist. But seeing how poorly this issue has been handled and how long they’ve been aware of it, that’s just inexcusable. Nothing “security” about this type of conduct. Nobody seems to know if the latest iteration (eufy 3) has this issue too, but the failure of handling this appropriately makes me not even interested in it anymore. How to lose out on sales, I suppose… A shame, because otherwise it seemed quite compelling.

Glad to see this post is still helping people 18 months on.

I wonder if any of this has been fed back to Eufy by the moderators of this forum… :thinking: