Major Flaw - Delete Homebase data via camera

This is their way of forcing it’s users to buy cloud storage from them. They tell you the security flaw basically won’t be fixed but if you pay extra for cloud storage from eufy your data will be safe. What a joke, I wish I would have never bought this junk camera with such he a disturbing vulnerability. It makes the cameras pretty much useless!

5 Likes

Glad I didn’t get a get rid of my Ring Doorbell and get a Eufy one to addto my Eufy system.
If this doesn’t get fixed soon then it will be the last Eufy (and Anker) product I’ll ever buy and I’ll certainly recommend others to go elsewhere too.

:rage:

3 Likes

At this time, there is no sign that they are even working on it. They went from “working by design” to “we are actively working to fix the flaw” back to “working by design”. Its been over a year since this has been discovered. I suspect they don’t have the talent to fix something like this or they just don’t care. They keep turning out new products that have the same baked in flaws.

Their hardware is good and the orginal app and camera software was pretty good. I suspect everyone who worked on the design is gone and they don’t have experienced software people to fix this flaw.

5 Likes

My doorbell was not stolen, but my link to my sister’s feeds was removed after an update….

They won’t fix the major security issues as they think it will drive folks to pay for their cloud subscription. What they haven’t figured out is it will be pretty tough to make money on cloud subscriptions when no one uses your cameras and doorbells.

5 Likes

Well it’s been almost one year since awareness of this flaw was highlighted on this thread. Still we for Eufy for a solution, and still Eufy remain mute on any progress.

I wondered given the one year anniversary, if contributor to this thread should arrange drinks or something to mark the occasion. I’m quite happy to provide snacks, (let me know of any special dietary requirements) we just need to agree a date and venue.

Do the management team at Eufy get an invite?

4 Likes

Actually its been more than a year. The first several threads on this problem were archived by mods trying to get all the info into the same topic. My first exposure was a topic posted in late Jan 2021. Eufy’s initial response was “working by design”. A bunch of people called bullshit on that and they started to change their tune. That topic got archived so it doesn’t show up anymore even in search. I did some detailed testing in Feb 21 of 5 differrent cams, keypads, and door sensors and sent the results to Eufy on Mar. 5th 2021. They opened ticket #90819924 on March 8. Ever since then its been “working, but need more time”, but esentially no fix. Looks like they have just been dragging their feet , hoping it will go away.

How about drinks all around, with Hemlock for management.

7 Likes

So we need a party to mark the anniversary sooner. Can everyone check their diaries? :wink:

Hi All,

So just so I’m clear on this. If I have a 2K battery doorbell cam linked to a Homebase 2, if someone presses the sync button for 10 seconds it will delete the videos stored on the Homebase?

What if they just steal the camera without holding the sync button? Will I be able to view the videos stored on the Homebase if the doorbell is no longer in range?

Thanks,

Alex

I didn’t specifically test the 2K doorbell, but all the rest of their cameras wipe when synced.

If someone just steals the device and doesn’t sync it while in range, then you should be able to view the older clips from that device. They may get cleaned up by some process if the device never connects again. They will get wiped by the 90 day limit Eufy implemented last year without telling anyone, but that applies to any saved video from active cameras as well.

If someone makes off with your doorbell, I would immediately download any critical clips just to be safe.

1 Like

Thanks for the information, I was going to buy this system today. Not anymore, back to the drawing board.

4 Likes

This is pathetic, I am returning my EUFY system today.
The fact that they have known about this for >12 months just how shockingly terrible this company is at customer service.

4 Likes

Thankfully saw this before purchasing, damn muppets!

4 Likes

Not happy about this, it would not be hard to design a confirmation prompt on the app and/or the website before deleting footage. This could be fixed by some minor software updates. Eufy pls!

3 Likes

Any news on this? I mean they can make a new app but not fix this problem?

If they haven’t fixed it in a year, they aren’t going to. Move on.

4 Likes

You should understand the shortcomings before investing.

1 Like

So, this is somewhat concerning.
I’ve just ordered a Eufy doorbell and was planning on buying a load of cameras to upgrade my blink setup

But this does seem like a bit of concern - surely once the footage is on my homebase that can’t simply be deleted by a press of the sync button?

Is there a workaround for this? Can I sync my base station in real-time with a Nas? Can I make the recordings read only?
Can I remove the sync button?!

Maybe I need to reconsider…

2 Likes

The cameras can be connected to your NAS via RTSP but when I did that to try to get around their flaw, you lose the first 5-10 seconds of the motion trigger by the time it is captured on your NAS. I tried both my QNAP and Synology and same problem. You miss the motion. I also have Blink and I have switched back - I am grandfathered on the Blink for their free cloud storage so easy decision. I would suggest you DON’T put anymore money into Eufy.

2 Likes

LifeHackster on youtube briefly mentioned the sync button issue for about 7 seconds (https://youtu.be/KbzvJSr05xs?t=243).

2 Likes