Why is Eufy motion AI so bad?

I have a T8200 wired doorbell. The motion detection on it is absolutely dire. My milkman can walk up to the door and leave the property and it does not even detect him. Yet during the day I am constantly pinged by cars driving past because the so called AI thinks a round wheel is a human! Also at certain times of the day it confuses the rear brake light lense on my car as Human, a patch of sky seen through my porch roof supports as Human, logos on the side of passing vehicles as Human. But any REAL Humans that walk up to the camera either do not get detected at all or only detect once they are walking away.

I bought the wired version specifically because it is supposed to have pre-roll on it for detection and so you can see people faces, not the back of their heads.

I have tried to use the detections zones to blank out the road and stop cars being picked up but it STILL detects the wheels. Iā€™ve tried turning up sensitivity to pick up actual people on my property (the whole point of buying a security cam in the first place!) and all it does is increase false alarms.

How can I trust this device to help protect me when it canā€™t do basic functionality properly?

Iā€™ve seen multiple complaints similar to this. Does Eufy actually listen and fix problems or are they just focusing on the gravy train of pushing new products that no doubt will be equally as crap?

2 Likes

Just had my Eufy wired doorbell for 24 hours, replacing a RING due to their outrageous price increase for the cloud service. The Ring was perfect in terms of motion and human detection, and the responsivity was almost instant despite the upload/download path. This Eufy is appalling by comparisonā€¦ really great video quality, but thatā€™s it. I have all the misidentification issues described in the post above, although person detection actually walking up to the camera is OK. Both my visible car wheels are ā€˜humanā€™ and of course I can only draw one ā€˜avoidanceā€™ zoneā€¦how stupid. Reading posts, this has been a common theme for years. Why donā€™t they just reverse engineer Ringā€™s software?

Itā€™s also often very slow to display events after an alert,takes itā€™s sweet time ā€˜decrypting from local storageā€™ sometimes. I hoped for betterā€¦

2 Likes

Welcome to Eufy!

Unfortunately, donā€™t expect it to get any better. The last year it has got even worse. I still get dozens of wheels per day, no people. Now I even get a building across the road from me being tagged as a human each morning!! Pretty sure the AI here stands for Absence of Intelligence.

Seems Iā€™m not alone! I have the 2k battery doorbell (so no pre-roll), which Iā€™ve wired, but basically have a similar experience as you. Iā€™ve actually switched to ā€œall motionā€ from ā€œhuman detectionā€, but like you, Iā€™ve set my activity zone a fair bit from the curb, but on sunny days, the doorbell will register every passing car as an event. Conversely, If I pull into or back out of the driveway slowly, no motion will be detected.

The quality of the camera hardware itself plays a crucial role. If the camera resolution or field of view is limited, it can impact the AIā€™s ability to detect motion effectively. Environmental factors such as weather conditions, vegetation, or moving objects like pets can also pose challenges to motion detection algorithms. Apart from this, the role of search engine optimization consultant optimizing various on-page elements such as meta tags, headings, content, and internal linking structure to make them more search engine friendly and improve relevance to target keywords.