Unlock the Power of eufy | Facial Recognition User Guideline for Video Doorbell Dual

What is Facial Recognition ?

Video Doorbell Dual can detect familiar faces when someone approaches or rings the doorbell. Our AI technology gets to work and sends you a notification so you can say “hello.”

Note: Facial Recognition is undergoing beta testing. We welcome your feedback to improve this feature. Scroll to the bottom of this article to find ways you can contact us.

How to Optimize Facial Recognition

1.Install the doorbell where there’s good daylight, and it’s directly in front of approaching visitors.
2.You’ll notice higher recognition rates if you have a wide porch (10 ft / 3 m or more) or your visitor looks right at the doorbell.

When Does Facial Recognition Work Best

A. Coming Home : When your visitor approaches with his or her head up and forward, he or she will most likely be recognized around 7-10 ft (2-3 m) away as long as he or she is walking directly in front of the doorbell.

B. Familiar Faces : People programmed as a Familiar Face will more likely be recognized.

Let’s Explain the Technology

We’re able to see wider angles at further distances, just like your doorbell. And like our eyes, your doorbell doesn’t have as wide of a field of view when objects come close.

Facial recognition is a bit different though. Unlike a V-shaped detection, this detection looks more like a house. So, if someone approaches too far to the left or right of your door, they won’t get detected.

And if you like numbers, here are some stats:

1. Widest Detection Angle - Starts at 7 ft ( 2m)
  2. Horizontal Detection Distance - Max 2 ft (0.7 m)
  3. Likely Detection Range - Between 7-10 ft (2-3 m)

What Affects Facial Recognition

Technology

Video Doorbell Dual uses machine learning to ensure notifications are as accurate as possible, but the technology isn’t always perfect. We’re continuing to improve our technology. Help us improve by uploading your pictures and videos.

Installation Position

We recommended installing the doorbell at a height of 4 ft (1.2 m) above the ground. When a person stands in front of the doorbell, their face should be in the middle of the frame. Doorbells mounted on the side wall will not be able to recognize faces.

Lighting Conditions

A. Backlighting

This can happen during the day or at night and can reduce the accuracy of facial recognition.

B. Weak Lighting

Cloudy days or insufficient lighting at night may not produce enough illumination for Facial Recognition to work.

C. Recommendation

Purchase a smart fill light to help better illuminate faces in both scenarios.

Human Behavior

A. Walking Path

As mentioned previously, your visitor will be recognized if he or she looks directly at the doorbell while approaching for at least 1-2 seconds. People who are further than 10 ft (3 m) away or less than 2 ft (0.5 m) away will not be recognized.

B. Walking Speed

If a visitor walks toward your door at a speed greater than 3 mph (5 kph), Facial Recognition accuracy will decline.

Accessories

Facial Recognition does not work for people wearing masks, sunglasses, or other accessories. For people who wear glasses, the recognition rate will also decline.

Low-Quality Reference Pictures

For the best experience, upload high-resolution images of you and your loved ones’ faces to the eufy Security app. It’s best if the picture has nothing in front of the face. In addition, upload pictures without glasses, hats, motion blur, or nighttime black and white photos.

Smudged Camera Lens

Facial Recognition accuracy falls if your lens becomes dirty or foggy. You can wipe the camera with a clean, lint-free cloth to improve the detection rate.

Improve This Feature

If you’re not satisfied with Facial Recognition, tell us. We want to improve, and you can help. Share a video or picture of a face that wasn’t recognized, and we’ll use your data to help train our AI to do better.

Power Unlocked! :unlock:

Do you ever feel that you’re getting out-smarted by your smart home? We know that the sheer level of features on our products can be a little overwhelming. So to make life easier, we want to share with you tips into how to best use your eufy devices. Keep an eye out for more “Unlock the power of eufy” posts and gain the knowledge needed to be top of the smart home class.

Where you can find us :smile:

If you encounter any problems during use or have any other questions, please contact our customer service team through the following channels:

1)eufy Security app → Help → Call us/Feedback.

2)Ask your questions here at the bottom of this post.

3)Send us an email: support@eufylife.com

We will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you for your support.

eufy Security Team

14 Likes

The installation guide in the box advised to install the doorbell at a hight of 90cm. In this article however a hight of 1,2 mtr is advised. So, wich is it?

3 Likes

Dont need to be notified when a familar face walks in. Allow me to turn it off. Hate that my notification goes off when anyone that lives in the household comes home. Like i dont need to know that.

10 Likes

www.google.com kings and wueens

How about unlocking the power of the homebase 3 by giving it the support for indoor 2k cam and the 2k pt cam , like you promised when I bought it ? Because right now it’s completely useless to me and a waste of $105 plus the $100 I spent on

1 Like

The $100 spent a on 1TB ssd plus the energy its wasting doing nothing

Sefffgjhff www.duckduckgo.com

All the links to images are broken. Please fix them.

I’d like to connect my Dual Doorbell (accu) to my new Homebase 3. it won’t work. Any suggestions? All other cams went over smoothly

2 Likes

I realy liked this, to be able to turn off ringing by famely meubels. How to do this??

3 Likes

Seitentür zeigt nicht an

What is max frame rate for Homebase 3? How is it divided between multiple cameras @ 1080P resolution?

I’m pretty sure it’s the camera that determines the frame rate…
Eufy cams have 15 FPS which is low in terms of quality. Would like to see them up it at 30 FPS as moving objects/persons are blurry when you pause video.

The recording device definitely controls frame rate. That’s why I posed the question. When stopping playback the important parts are blurry. You can advertise 4K resolution all day but if it’s low frame rate good luck finding usable still images of anything moving.

So I was able to find out through the chat bot. Max frame rate is 30 frames per second. Every time a camera is added you divide by 30fps. 4 cameras divided by 30 is 7.5 fps. Now I know why Homebase is so inexpensive. Frame rate is like sampling rate in the audio world. Anyone running or walking at a brisk pace will be blurry in a still image. Just not enough data to construct a clear image.

I don’t think that cameras that aren’t actively recording an event count in that sense, they’re asleep until motion is detected by the motion sensor (not the actual camera).
So you’re likely to get the full frame rate if there’s an intruder in the house, as he’ll trigger mostly one camera at a time.

1 Like

Fair enough, I’m waiting for the E330 to become available ordering 4. I could only get about 10 feet of detection out of the S330. Returned it to Amazon. If it’s a PIR detector as hot as it has been body temp blends in reducing range. They should probably consider range controlled radar. They technology has been in use for years and powers from 12v at about 30ma of current.

My camera is horrible never gets visitors

1 Like

As already said, I don’t need alerts when a family member approaches. What’s the point of AI face recognition otherwise?
It can’t be difficult to add that feature, and it will extend battery life.