Major Flaw - Delete Homebase data via camera

#eufyflawed

Expand the image to see my comment circled in red.

5 Likes

I suppose this means that Bigfoot will be captured by a Eufy camera before they will fix their issues with the Sync button deleting all the records. A cold day?

3 Likes

I’m hoping that more users get #eufyflawed trending on social media to raise awareness of the neglect and contempt from this company.

6 Likes

This is of course very concerning. Did anyone test if recordings stored on the cloud storage subscription is also wiped by this, or if that could function as a “fail safe”?

I don’t have a cloud subscription so haven’t tested this issue. The root of the problem is how they store the data in their database. I suspect the video records are still on homebase and the SD cards for standalone devices. They just can’t be accessed becasue they are encrypted and they have lost the record key they are associated with.

Once the device has been removed from the app by the Sync button, it removes the link to all video stored by that device, so the app can’t retrieve the video clips. I would think this would have the same effect on the cloud storage because there isn’t a key to associate the video files wherever they are stored.

Eufy did have a partial fix for this at one time. They used the devices serial number as a record key when the device was removed. That allowed you to see event records for any device associated with their serial number. It wasn’t a great solution, but it did allow someone to recover video from a device removed from the app. This functionality was removed from the app several versions ago without any explanation.

If anyone has a cloud plan, it would be interesting to see if the records are wiped when the device is removed from the app with the Sync button.

4 Likes

@Mic4799 I agree, it makes sense to check if this effects those who use their cloud services. Although @preset makes a great point on how it would more than likely be connected and the similarities between the two. There’s only one way to find out…

However, I chose Eufy because of their “secure” homebase and no monthly fees, lol. They really need to address the homebase problem that has been discussed on here for a long time now. To have video footage disappear in less than 10 seconds because of a major flaw is a inexcusable. Do other companies have the same issue with their security cameras (Ring, Nest, Wyze, etc.)??

2 Likes

Thank God I came across this thread while setting up my FIRST camera! I will be returning all of the equipment I just purchased and going with a different company. It is unconscionable to think the camera would actually be designed this way from the beginning. It defies logic.

A company who is this inept as to such a fundamental problem should NOT be awarded my hard earned money. I can’t believe such an incredibly stupid issue exists. This is bait and switch of the worst kind.

SMH. INCREDIBLY INEPT! And they are indignant with a fix?

Goodness!!

7 Likes

I switched from Ring to Eufy, and can confirm 100% that their devices do not have similar issues.

3 Likes

I am glad I just found this thread, I was about to purchase the 2C Pro but if recordings can still be erased by removing and resetting camera I will continue to look at other options. Saving money on subscriptions is pointless if I cant view recordings.

4 Likes

I was literally this evening going to buy a camera. Not any more I’m not!
When this has been fixed and an external siren / sounder has been released then I’ll reconsider. But alas this is a deal breaker for me.

4 Likes

I received an update to my HomeBase 2 but it doesn’t mention anything. Not sure if it has anything to do with patching this flaw…

Nope. They haven’t fixed it. In order to fix this flaw, they would need to update the Homebase, all cams, doorbells, sensors and keypads. The fact that I haven’t heard anything from them on this flaw since early May doesn’t fill me with hope. At that time they said it would take 2 to 3 months to fix. That was after an initial 2 to 3 months where they said it was working by design and refused to acknowledge the problem.

Eufy support has some of the worst communications I have ever seen in a support organization. They don’t even get back to users when they fix something. I have had several tickets submitted where they fixed the problem, but didn’t include it in their firmware notes or get back to me to confirm that the problem was fixed.

8 Likes

I agree a big concern. But these cameras hit all the right checkboxes for me otherwise. I will wait for a patch and hope that the crooks in my area will not be savvy about eufy specific security flaws, and that I will have time to download any video evidence. I don’t know about everywhere else, but the guys in my area are focused on Trucks, yard ornaments, fedex packages and mail. They are also pretty dumb, and don’t seem to care too much about being on camera while they steal your stuff…

1 Like

Lots more #eufyflawed on their official Twitter page. Join in guys.

Make your discontent known.

5 Likes

Can NE1 confirm if this wipes video of folks who have cloud accounts? I’m wondering if Eufy won’t fix this to get folks to pay for their cloud subscription? Most folks picked Eufy because of the ability to store locally - I’ll jump to a different system before I pay them for a cloud subscription!

2 Likes

Hi guys!

Not sure if this is totally right thread to post in, but since it has some of the issues stated here, ill give it a try:

A few months ago I took down all of my eufcam2 cameras (three) along with my Homebase 2. Yesterday I was going to review/download some of the recordings on the Homebase2 as the storage section in the iOS app on the Homebase2 says that i have 8GB of clips.

This did not work, neither from the iOS app, web or the MacOS app.

So today I read this whole thread and to me (and from your experience) it seems like you need to have the cameras connected to the Homebase in order to view the videos. Luckily the cameras were still paired with the Homebase, so I just charged them and they connected just fine.

The problem is now that I can’t find any of the clips, they are showing. I went back to the date when I first put the system online and I could not see any of the clips from that period. Just 2 random clips a few months in and some events connected to my door sensor. Even tho (as Ive said) I have 8GB of clips and over 20k motions that has been recorded.

If someone has any input on this, or if this is a “feature” rather than a bug, please tell me :slight_smile:

Your post doesn’t relate to the flaw being discussed.

Some months back Eufy implemented a “feature” in all devices that erases all clips over 3 months old. Supposedly, this was done to meet requirements of EU data law, but they did it for everyone and didn’t tell anyone. You can’t go back and reclaim any of those clips. Because of that, I make a habit of reviewing my data at least once a week downloading anything I want to keep and wiping the rest.

The lack of communication with users is really astounding. Not only do they not tell users when they make changes, they don’t listen to user feedback. Support is another black hole.
While I still have a lot of Eufy gear, I’m actively looking to replace all of it as quickly as possible.

4 Likes

First of all, thank you for writing this even tho as you said its off topic.

The strange thing is that the iOS app still says I have the clips on my Homebase2… I need to find the source of what you are telling me. I will start a new thread and see if I can get some info on this topic.

Thanks

(edit: This is the new thread if anyone wants to follow up on the subject)

I never knew this was an issue until now. People can delete your video then associate your cam with another homebase? This is very concerning and will have an impact on my next security cam purchase.

3 Likes

I was just about to buy a number of Eufy products but this thread has changed my mind. Please Eufy fix this or respond and I might re-consider. A security products company not addressing something like this is astonishing.

6 Likes