Is there an official plug-in wall transformer that will not make any video doorbell get a low battery message

Recently my E8210 2K video doorbell started to get the low battery message even though I have it wired to a plug-in wall transformer. The plug-in wall transformer is the one officially recommended by Anker/Eufy in one of their posts. The Viivria 24V model.
The transformer input is 120V AC 60Hx 0.2A with an output of 24VAC 500mA.
According to Eufy the video doorbell should be powered by a 16-24VAC, 30VA transformer.
Now I don’t know the conversion between 30VA and 500mA, but the transformer powered the doorbell until recently and it now gives a low battery message.
I figured since the doorbell is almost 2 years old, I’ll replace it with the Dual Video wired model E8203. But it too has received the low battery message.
I even replaced the plug in wall transformer to an OhmKat model that states it is for the Eufy video doorbell. (Input 120V AV 60Hz 0.3A, output 20VAC 500mA).

According to the test device function in the Eufy appt, they both pass as able to work with the doorbells, but in reality both the E8210 or the E8203 still get the low battery message.

So I’m honestly at a lost as to what to do to get the doorbell(s) to work. I don’t understand why Eufy can’t officially sell a plug-in wall transfer to power these doorbells. At the least Anker being its parent company with their knowledge of making power banks and power house units.

So as the title says, Is there an official plug-in wall transformer that will not make any Eufy video doorbell get a low battery message, or is there something I missing? or does anyone have a solution to the low battery message to the 2K video doorbell (battery-powered) unit or the E8203 Wired Dual video unit.

Hi,
I’m not totally sure, but I would like to try and help.
I think the 500mA is too low to satisfy at charging the battery. That’s only ½ an amp or 0.5A
I would look for a transformer output 16- 24 VAC, 40VA.

1 Like

I’ve heard that continuously charging a lithium battery damages it. Some brands have recently changed their doorbell charging regimen to only charge if/when it drops to 10% and only charge to 80%. I am clueless why they can’t do the same as cell phone manufacturers that stop the charging when the battery reaches 100%. anyway I had this same problem with a Ring Doorbell 3 which is why i decided to try a Eufy. the Ring battery ran out in a week and took 10 hours to charge A real PITA. - only to learn it also has the same problem. The only solution seems to be to use a wired only model. I did look into an uninterruptible 24 VAC power supply, but they are pricey.

The strange thing is, I bought the wired dual video model thinking the battery-powered one was eol. I installed it, tested it, worked fine. Then less than 30 minutes later the low battery message appears in the app. I assume the new model also has an internal battery but for it to give a low battery in 30 minutes leads me to think its the transformer.
I looked at a few wall plug in transformers as per the members instruction above, but some comments in amazon say its too strong and may burn out the doorbell.
Plus it has three terminals and no diagram to hook up.
I refuse to let the porch pirates win.

Your transformer could have gone bad. It’s possible it’s putting out the proper voltage but the VA/mA may have weakened over time/use.
The eufy wired doorbell requires 16-24VAC, 30VA or above voltage.
support.eufycom › article
The higher 40VA will not damage your doorbell as the charging circuitry in the doorbell will only draw/use as much VA/amps it needs.
Basically on the transformer when it states 30 VA or 50 VA output it means the transformer can handle that much of a current draw if it pulls over more than that the transformer will burn out eventually.

I have a battery powered doorbell not a wired one that I charge via a USB adapter that can put out 3 Amps max. I also have a USB tester that shows me the voltage, amps and mAh. When I’m charging the doorbell @ 5% battery power it’s taking in almost 1 amp of current as battery % increases the amp draw begins to decrease slowly because of the charging circuitry in the doorbell.

1 Like