Eufy E340 Video Doorbell Hard Wired Issues

Yes, when I got my device I charged the battery to 100% and now it keeps at 93%.

I’ll keep an eye out to see if I get the plug icon again

1 Like

I received a new firmware yesterday of 3.0.7.1 so hopefully this will help but I’m still not seeing any pre-roll clips but battery is more stable.

I am having a similar issue with my E340 which I have connected to wires.

When I have the doorbell connected directly to wifi, I always see the green plug, and I can’t see the battery percentage at all. It’s always the green plug.

I purchased a Homebase 3, now the doorbell is connected to the Homebase, the battery now always shows as a percentage, and I don’t see the plug icon. So is it being charged by the wiring?

I am new to Eufy, coming from Ring and these UX things are annoying. I don’t know what the device is doing, and I don’t have any trust on the wiring.

1 Like

I have the older T8200 doorbell hooked to my existing wiring and it cycles charging to avoid keeping the battery charged at 100%, which will damage the device. The SOC varies based on the settings you configured for your doorbell. Things that influence the charge are:

1. Is motion detection on and if so, how many detections are you getting per day.( Statistics page in Power Manager will tell you that number) More detections draw more power.

2. How long is each detection being recorded. Longer the recording time, the higher the battery drain.

3. Ambient temperature. Too hot or too cold will reduce the current to the battery. If the temp drops below 32F, the charge will stop until temp goes above that value.

The green plug icon just tells you the battery is receiving charge, not that its charged to 100%.

1 Like

Hi smi1951,

Thank you for your reply it is much appreciated. I am a newbie when it comes to the Eufy Doorbell as I had the Nest Hello previously but the app was far too slow to answer the doorbell when someone rings it so I decided to buy the new dual camera E340 because it seemed a good product but so far I’ve not been overly pleased because of this hard wire issue. None of it makes sense to me because if it is hard-wired it should show an icon relating to it being hard-wired and the battery shouldn’t be used. We should also get these pre-roll clips which currently aren’t available but ‘apparently’ it is coming in December.

Hi preset,

Thank you for your reply it is much appreciated. The T8200 doesn’t have the pre-roll option so the E340 should act a bit differently although even the way you have explained isn’t how ours seems to work. I only ever saw the green plug once on the very first night I installed the doorbell and not seen it since. I’ve upgraded my transformer 3 times now to ensure the doorbell receives the most power I have been told it needs but still no change. In theory, the doorbell should work without a battery in it but it doesn’t and there is no hard-wired icon present which doesn’t make sense. The pre-roll is supposed to come in December so we will have to wait and see if anything changes again then but I am not very hopeful.

1 Like

I will give the E340 a little bit of a chance before I decide to return it. I know some of my issues are because this is a new doorbell to me and I’ve been used to how my Ring doorbell has operated for the last 6 years.

I understand the E340 is a battery doorbell first and not a real wired doorbell. But I think the battery icons should show accurately.

1. Show a green plug if it’s charging from the wires - so I know the wires are working
  2. Show a battery percentage all the time so I know the state

Since my last post, the E340 battery went from 90% to 93% so I guess it’s getting some power from the wires, DESPITE the icon not showing it’s being charged.

Hopefully these things get addressed…I get it’s a new doorbell model but some of this should have been addressed in early testing and not when released to the public.

2 Likes

Yeah i’ve connected my new e340 (firmware 3.0.7.5) to the hardwired bell push wires from a Delta c3504 bell box. The voltage is 10v so within the range the e340 says it needs. however I just get the battery symbol never the plug. I had it connected to my homebase 3 but have just rest and connected via wifi to see if that makes a difference as i read somewhere there was an earlier bug where the plug would show if connected via wifi but not to the home base. However it still just shows as the battery. It would be good if it could show the plug symbol or some indication its charging. I guess i’ll just have to wait and see…

It is kind of positive that more of us are having the same issue as it means Eufy will need to fix it (fingers crossed).

Even the descriptions for the doorbell are confusing…
The one way I’m reading it is_ when it’s wired the doorbell is powered by that all the time & charges the battery and if power goes out the battery kicks in.
Battery percentage displayed all the time?

The second way is_ when wired it’s using the battery, when battery percentage drops to a certain threshold battery charging begins.
Charging plug displayed while battery charging?

@smi1951 has it right, about the way eufy should have the green plug and battery percentage displayed.

2 Likes

So I have been in contact with Eufy support on the battery icon topic.

After my Homebase 3 updated to 3.3.5.9 my E340 doorbell shows the plug on the Devices screen.
When I go into setting it shows a battery meter with a bolt.
When I go into power manager it’s a battery meter with a plug.

See screenshots.

Additionally, today I got a notification that the doorbell is fully charged! So things are working but the icons are still a little all over the place…but I can live with it knowing things seem to be working.

2 Likes

Hi smi1951,

Thank you for your reply it is much appreciated. That is somewhat good news but sadly for me my Homebase 3 is still on 3.3.2.6 so I will have to wait until they finally roll out the update to my HB3. I hope they don’t take weeks.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all doing well. I am very pleased to report that my Homebase 3 finally updated to 3.3.7.9 and since then I am seeing the green plug icon as expected. The update info said the pre-roll clips should now also be enabled yet I’ve not experienced this happening so far and the clips are the same as they were. The good thing though is the green plug icon seems to be constant so far but I will monitor this for a few days just in case it vanishes again.

IMG_3816

Hi, @hamishmcbuddy things seem to be progressing for you with that HB3 update :+1:

Now about the pre-roll… I’m wondering where are the recordings from the doorbell camera being recorded onto?
The doorbell cameras 8 GB internal memory or the HB3’s internal memory or hard drive?
As I read some time ago there was a glitch on the HB3 where cameras had lost their ability for pre-roll / pre buffer when recording on to the HB3.
So, if you are recording on to the HB3 see if you can switch back to the doorbell cams internal memory to record onto to see if the pre-roll works then…
It’s up to you if want test that out.

1 Like

Hi jd164,

Thank you for your reply it is much appreciated. My joy has been short-lived as I’m back having troubles. The pre-roll was supposed to show in the doorbell settings menu under storage but wasn’t showing so I’ve rebooted my HB3 and the option appeared but I’ve not been able to enable it because it keeps saying it can’t connect to the Homebase. This has led me to look again at the doorbell and it seems even though I have been having the green plug icon constantly the battery hasn’t charged and has in fact died and the doorbell has stopped detecting which makes zero sense as it is supposed to now 100% be hardwired… Bug after Bug it seems. Now I am stuck with the green plug icon showing it being hardwired when in fact it isn’t acting as such and the battery is draining quickly again without being charged at all from the transformer. You couldn’t make this stuff up. :see_no_evil:

Regarding clips going to the doorbell I think you might be partially correct which again makes no sense but earlier today when the doorbell was working I formatted the doorbell’s storage and then left it at 0% used then later today it said a percentage of storage was used but you can’t easily choose which device you want to view the clip from. Surely the logical way things should work it when connected to the HB3 clips are only stored there and not still on the doorbell storage.

1 Like

A further update… it does seem that although the HB3 updated the firmware to enable pre-roll and hardwired function it doesn’t actually work that way. The hardwired part seems to not work at all anymore and the battery is being used even though the green plug icon is present. I’ve unplugged my transformer and the icon goes back to being the battery icon so the transformer is properly working but for some weird reason, the battery in the E340 is being used and being used very quickly compared to how it was previously on the firmware I had before. We were supposed to be getting it where we didn’t need a battery at all but it seems this hasn’t been enabled so far. The pre-roll option appeared in the doorbell general menu under storage and you need to do a quick check of the transformer to enable it and it appears that the IR lights stay on when pre-roll is enabled which is good and what I would of expected to happen. I will speak to Eufy about these new issues and report back.

1 Like

Hi hamishmcbuddy,

I feel your woes with the issues you’re having. :disappointed:
Interested in what eufy support has to say.

Me: I think the HB3 is just not fully compatible with the doorbell yet…

Support may say, possibly? remove the device (doorbell) and then add it back to see if that fixes things.

The E340 doesn’t need the HB3 to work unless you want the Bionic Mind features it offers.
If it was me, for testing purposes, I would go about removing the device (doorbell) and then add it back to the App and not connected to the HB3 to see how things work without it.

Oh, thought I’d add this pic this what you see when your camera joins The edge connection on the HB3. So you have a choice here… record onto the HB3 or not.

1 Like

Sadly the problems have become worse… who knew that could happen!

None of this makes sense but yesterday the menu in the HB3 showing the connected devices shown the E340 with a red battery icon so obviously the battery had died even while connected to constant power and the green plug icon showing. I removed the battery and charged it then put it back in the doorbell and it seemed to be working fine and then today the HB3 menu was showing the battery as full and I still had the green plug icon but again tonight the doorbell seemed to stop detecting motion and when I went to check it the doorbell was doing nothing and I couldn’t live view it anymore so again I removed the battery and fully charged it but this time when I put it back in the doorbell I keep having the button light flash 4 times and then stop. The doorbell seems to be stuck in this mode. I deleted it from my setup and tried to sync it again but it will no longer sync either so now I have a glorified brick.

I am soooo fed up with this doorbell now!

2 Likes

Another day and another update…

It seems my original E340 doorbell became bricked for some unknown reason and the button LED now just flashes 4 times then does nothing for about 25 seconds and then flashes another 4 times and it just keeps doing this. I removed it from my account and attempted to sync it again but sadly I can’t so that is now a paperweight.

I have now installed another E340 and this time the setup has gone perfectly well and everything seems (touch wood) to be working great. I added the doorbell following the normal setup process where you first needed to connect it to WiFi then did the firmware update then paired it to my Homebase 3 which all went smoothly. I fully charged the battery after this to ensure it was at 100% and once fully charged I took it outside and wired it up to the transformer which was unplugged and then I attached it to the mounting bracket at my front door and all was going well so I then went into the house and plugged the transformer in which then gave me the green plug icon which was great. I then had a quick look around the settings and this time I am seeing a couple of new icons I wasn’t having on my other E340 and those are the green battery icon with the green lightning bolt which would appear as though the battery is charging so this is a bonus and then on the power manager menu I have a new icon of a green battery with a plug so this would seem to mean hard-wired?

I’ve attached pictures of these new icons from the iOS app which I wasn’t seeing previously.

1 Like

Hi

I have exact the same issue and was doing the same thing and new findings as you. I hope those two icons won’t disappear after 5-6 hours. Mine are gone and I hope the battery is still being charged by the transformer. Did you request the replacement from Eufy? Or you bought the new one? Thanks.

1 Like