Eufy doorbell battery not charging on ac Transformer

I hard wired it, which I didn’t want to do but I wanted it to work.

Now it shows the green plug :electric_plug: in symbol constantly.

Switching power modes lets me see the battery % which is in the high 80s now, from reading old threads it seems the unit will attempt to recharge when it gets below a certain level then back up to a certain level, but not everyone’s results were the same.

It works fine, just not how I want it to, I guess. There seems to be a lot of compromise going on which I’m honestly not that comfortable with.

I have 2 doorbells on the front door right now trying to see which one works best in what position detection and sensitivity settings, seems like a lot of work on the end of the people that have paid money to test… Not what I’d call plug and play.

We should be able to read what the expected behavior is somewhere. I’ve had more help from this community of concerned owners that have their own money invested than anywhere else, proper specs would help, not grossly exaggerated claims.

One of the doorbells is going back for sure, the only decision left is whether the whole lot of 5 cams goes with it. I’m 2 weeks in.

The plug indicator is a good sign. Just showing you that it’s on a wired connection. Yeah the manual are pretty much useless because they don’t go into any kind of detail to advise. It’s just what it is.

This is getting very frustrating.
It run out of battery after 1 DAY even being plugged to a 24v/63va transformer…

anyone else has this problem?

I contacted support and awaiting answer…

1 Like

I have a 18v 800mA ac adapter and it charges back to 90% every night.

Double check that the wires are firmly on wheb screwing it in. Also check that the doorbell is getting good flow using multi meter if you have one. Otherwise just re check the wiress

The cable is around 15m and it is plain LAN cable.
I will try to measure volts but I do not think that this is the problem.

Does anyone had experience with faulty device?
Also @SmOothie you do not charge your doorbell in whatever power manager modes you have it?

Not sure I understand the question.

My doorbell is wired to the ac adaptor, it’s probably 4 meters long. 15 meters is quite long so definitely worth checking with a multimeter.

If the multimeter reads above 18v then I’d say contact support for replacement.

We have 24v 500ma over 6 metres. Not having any problems. 15m is rather long … you might want to check the actual output as already suggested. The cable is the speaker wire type.

SmOothie, if you are powering your battery doorbell with a transformer, how do you know that the battery is charging to 90% each night?, are you disconnecting the transformer to check the percentage, as mine only shows the charging plug symbol when connected to the transformer.

On iOS we can see it by switching the surveillance mode, when you change it it will show the battery percentage on the page until next time you go and look, when it will show the plug again.

From what Smooth has said before on Android he’s using an older firmware I think.

Using 1.7 android app which shows the battery level

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, didn’t know we could do that!

Quick update
I used a multimeter and the volt on the doorbell was 24.6Volt.
So no problem with the long cable.
I left the doorbell fully charged and without being plugged to anywhere and it lost 25% battery in 3 hours!!!

So I am going for a replacement as support told me

Yeh definitely get it replaced!

Just out of interest what was the motion count in the power management after 3 hours?

motion counter = 1

Hi,

I used a ring doorbell adaptor to power my doorbell (battery powered). The plug is 13ft away and im tranmitting power over cat6 cabling (23awg). Im using multiple cores per terminal to share the load.

Im constantly charging i.e the plug symbol is always showing.

I just bought doorbell battery and connected to my previous Ring AC adapter18v 500ma.
First 2 days the battery depleted completely while wired to the AC adapter. Perhaps I maxed all the detection settings.
Recharged to 100% this morning and dropped to 74% in the afternoon. See if it is charging okay tonight, if not then I will get this returned.

I have had issues with hard wiring my battery doorbell. I connected my doorbell to the existing wires and disconnected my mechanical bell (I don’t like the loud sound of it), but it never showed the charging icon in the app and the battery slowly drained. But, I think I’ve found a work-around that seems to work for me.

On Youtube I watched a video of a man that connected his doorbell, disconnected his mechanical doorbell but put a resistor in the circuit as a substitute for the mechanical bell. I don’t have such resistor here so I thought maybe it could work if I connect my mechanical bell again. I did so and yes, I immediately saw the charging icon in the Eufy app. I just don’t like the mechanical bell, so what I did is; I took out the ring mechanism component (the little hammer that hits the bell) . The mechanical bell is still connected, but it doesn’t make the penetrating loud ring sound. The doorbell is still in “charge modus” and there’s no use for a resistor.

As I’m not an electrician, my question is if this is an okay work-around or can something possibly break because of this?

Sounds like initially you didn’t bypass the chime and so the circuit wasn’t complete to charge the doorbell. When you added the bell back into the circuit, you completed the path to the doorbell.

You should be fine the way it is. The only problem you may have is the capacity of the doorbell transformer. If your doorbell isn’t staying charged up, then check the rating on the transformer. Eufy specs call for 16-24 VAC and 30 VA. You may be able to get by with less, but you’ll probably never charge the battery fully and if your motion activity were to increase, then the battery % of charge could drop further. Its better to err on the side of too much capacity than having not enough. The doorbell won’t draw more than it needs.

Note that having 18-24 volts at the terminals isn’t enough if your transformer is rated at 10VA, which is a common rating for doorbells, especially older construction.

I don’t see this working.

The connections that you are attached to in the pic are specifically for a transformer that provides 8-24 volts AC.

A usb supplies 5volt, DC so is not suitable for connecting to these terminals.

I guess there is internal circuitry in the bell to reduce the input AC voltage to 5 volts as well as converting the AC to DC.

I installed my battery 2k doorbell last week, using my existing doorbell wiring, and tested it all very carefully before I connected it up because I wasn’t sure whether to use my old house chime unit. There’s a setting that you MUST change if you bypass the mechanical chime. It’s in doorbell settings, “Indoor Chime”, “Existing doorbell chime”. If indoor chime is set to “on” then when the bell-push is pressed it will close the contact for the ac supply, which will short-circuit the transformer if the chime itself isn’t in the circuit. This is NOT GOOD and likely to cause damage longer term.

My Friedland 14v ac transformer passes 0.5amps when the house chime unit rings (which is fine) and 0.02 amps when it isn’t ringing (the battery is still fully charged, so that’s about what I expected) but if the chime is bypassed and the setting hasn’t been changed to “off” then when the bell-push is pressed the current jumps to over 1.5 amps - which is nearly 80 times what it should be, and well above my transformer’s maximum specified output. Most transformers have protection against overload like this, but it’s still likely to cause damage if it happens frequently. If the ‘indoor chime’ setting is set to off then the doorbell doesn’t try to ring the chime, and doesn’t short-circuit the transformer.

Eufy’s complete lack of a decent manual (which should include this warning) make me wonder where Eufy’s priorities lie. The doorbell is an excellent product but the user documentation is virtually non-existent.

Incidentally, the idea of connecting a 5v dc supply to the terminals on the doorbell is totally wrong - the voltage specification is 8-24v AC. [as I’ve just seen pointed out in the post above]