Eufy cam 2 Pro battery or constant power

I have bought 2 Eufy cam 2 Pro camera’s. Both run on batteries, but I can make 1 constantly connected to power. Is this a smart thing to do OR does this have a negative side effect on the battery?

The cam 2 has a strong battery…. Is there a reason you would want to power it constantly? If I had power close I would just buy a C24 outdoor cam. 24/7 recording…. (And a spotlight).

Thanks for your response again, much appreciated. I was able to take over 2 (almost) new Eufycam 2 Pro’s and I charged them full now. Because I always prefer wired vs battery (to avoid empty camera and hassle to charge), I was thinking to constant power one of them (where outlet is close) and other one on the roof with an external Eufy solar panel (to extend battery life).

Oh…. Hello again. Your the person that had the vehicle break in! Well…. I will only say this one more time. If you want to be happy with these PIR based cameras…. They need to be put in a location where they will trigger RELIABLY like I told you before. If you put them where they have the best view of your area… near an outlet…or where they get great sun for your solar…. You will be right back on here complaining that your car got busted into again and the camera didn’t get any footage.

I hope the locations you plan to use them just happens to work. (This is rare)

These cam2 pros are great cameras…. Good luck!

Yes it is me again :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks for your detailed answer. I am struggeling now to find the right position for 1 of the PIR camera’s (with the range of detection in mind). Is there another alternative next to PIR based camera’s at Eufy.

I need a location between 2.5 and 3m high AND within 5m roughly.
If you look at the construction of the house, it is like the picture below:

I need to get a clear view at the very front of the house (opposite of the garage) towards the street. The part where the garage is, is covered with Eufy doorbell. I am thinking about mounting 1 2 pro camera just above the the white cassette of the side window.

Any help and experience is welcome.

Thanks!

Thanks for the pic. Do you park your cars right next to the house? I can’t see the the full layout…. But your on the right track. Find a way to temporarily mount the cam up there and test it out.

I tell people to get a piece of string and cut off 25 ft and tie it to the camera. Then walk the half circle and see where the end of the string is. That’s your basic trigger range. (1 guy mounted too high said “that leaves me with nothing “. He was right! ). Keeping in mind that you want the movement crossing the cams view not going towards the camera. I can walk straight at my cameras and almost touch them before they trigger. Also I found that if I keep the movement in the bottom 2/3 of the cameras view… I get better results. Will the camera trigger farther than 25ft? Yes. It all depends on the heat difference and the track. A hot car with hot brakes crossing your cams view just right might pickup at 60 ft. That same car cold leaving your house at 10 ft. Might not pickup at all.

Yes… eufy has wired outdoor cameras that don’t use PIR. They keep changing the name but lookup C24 outdoor. Looks like a baseball. I have 3 of these I use everywhere I have power. Like I mentioned they have 24/7 recording so they never miss anything… and they trigger motion much better. ( and if they ever get the AI off the HB3… they will be crazy good)

Get them mounted in the best spot possible… once your happy with the results… THEN start looking into powering them if you want. Those batteries will give you many months before needing a recharge as long as they are not getting triggered by something repeatedly ( cars on the street, sidewalks, shadows from the sun ).

I also have motion sensors that I use to trigger a couple cameras that I don’t have the correct mounting options. But that’s a whole different can-of-worms.

When I first got my cameras I mounted them in a spot they had the best view…. Long story short I almost tossed them in the trash. So frustrating! It was a long road figuring them out. Let us know how it goes. Many people having trouble read this stuff. ( I did )

Ah sure … both cars are on the driveway next to the house. The one they broke into is on the outer part of the drive-way, just little bit in front of the house (2 cars after each other).

Your post is extremely helpful. The motion sensor might makes sense … maybe … so what if I mount a Eufy motion sensor which triggers the Cam Pro 2 (on a further distance) to start recording?

Regarding the crossing . I have a camera in the back garden pointing to the walls in the back and on the side. I tried it and I think it will be trigger once you walk towards the camera OR are you saying the position is wrong to capture these walls?

I’m guessing your main concern is securing that door in the back. I can’t see what’s to the right of view… but that looks like a good spot to test. If your using IR night vision I would bump the camera to the right a bit to avoid that brick wall that might flare and lower the cams night vision.

Motion sensor. Like I said this is a tough one because eufy doesn’t make a waterproof motion sensor. I DIY’d a few last year and they have been working great for me. I have some of my cams set to human only detection on the HB3…. But the motion sensor will trigger and record for 6 seconds on everything without setting off the alarm. This is exactly how I wanted it . If during those 6 seconds it detects a human…. It will continue to record longer and fire the alarm. But that human needs to be close enough for the cam to make the identification. Like a said…. Can of worms and needs its very own study. Maybe a 3 day seminar….

I am actually trying to secure the front part of the driveway, at the doorpart the video doorbell is already mounted.

You asked about the rear camera with pictures

I replied on the front area…. I cant really see your full layout. We are really getting into this… let’s go all the way. Give me more pics so I can see what’s down the driveway…. What the view looks like from the door in front and all the sides so I can see all the places you could slap a camera. Also…. More than one camera in front is also an option and using the homebase automation…one cam can trigger the other… and they can both alarm together. I used 1 camera as a dedicated motion sensor for a long time before I waterproofed the motion sensors.

Nice chatting with you and I will give you a better view on the driveway for example.

Hopefully the picture gives more clearity.
The red marked area is where I have Eufy doorbell, covering garage door and front of first car.

This is the view from doorbell:

I need to get the yellow marked area on video, which is the 2nd car, and that is the one which is broken into.

I tried to put a camera in the purple marked area (just under the roof), the detection did not work. I think this is between 12 - 15m (max 50ft).

Is this more clear now?
Again, thanks a lot for your help

Yes true, but the one in the backyard seems to be located at the right place, out of rain and direct sun

This helps. Anything behind the 2nd car you can attach a camera?

Let’s start with your doorbell…. I would put in a shim to get more of the first car and driveway. Just enough so someone couldn’t squeeze by on the right… but still get most people standing at the door.

1 Like

This might be an idea with the doorbell. I used the standard mounting bracket with angle.

But about the fixed camera, this is where I struggle to get the 2nd car on video. Somewhere on the wall I would like to mount it

That’s why I’m asking about options behind the cars to attach

Thinking about options:

Red is too far (tested that one) for detection about the camera itself, but it does give a solid view.
Purple seems to be possible … but always insight, no power and in all weather conditions.

Is that the street right behind the 2nd car? Also I’m interested behind the car or in your front yard we could attach a cam? If that’s the street right there…. Is it busy?

Yes it is frontyard and public road

The issue is they broke in the car in this yellow marked area: