Eufy 2K Video Doorbell: sound and connection issues

I have an Eufy 2K Video doorbell and unfortunately have problems with it. For example, in live view the sound is not constant, it is interrupted all the time only to return again. You should actually just have constant sound I know from a friend who has the same device.

In the live view, I also keep seeing the KB/s fluctuate enormously with values between 3 and say 300.

In addition, the connection also drops out after about 40 seconds in the live view.

Furthermore, the HomeBase 2 makes a crackling/disturbing sound when someone rings the doorbell. So the ringtone is not nice and smooth.

To my mind, it has to do with the network. It seems like the connection is being intercepted or something.

The network is otherwise excellent and also the Eufy app indicates that the connection is absolutely fine. However, I still have these problems.

I myself thought maybe the router should be set differently, but have no idea what exactly.

I have also already received a new Eufy set but to no avail, exactly the same problems.

I hope someone recognises this problem and has the solution!

Hi, @ger3290

Do you have anything near the HomeBase that could be causing interference? Like a cordless phone or another wireless device / Bluetooth / Wi-Fi router.
How is the HomeBase connected?

As far as the connection KB/s fluctuating, that’s normal, as Eufy only transmits frames that have changed. This allows them to have reasonable video quality without the imposed power cost. I would vote for interference being the culprit. Get a wifi analyzer app for your phone and see what signals are strongest around you. The Eufy network doesn’t show up explicitly on those apps, but if you look for the MAC address starting with 8C:85:80, you will have found the homebase. If any other strong sources are using that same channel, you will probably have found the problem. Often you can just switch the channel your router broadcasts and the Homebase will switch with it. There is no other way to force the homebase to use or avoid a specific channel.

Hi,

The HomeBase is connected with an Ethernet cable, it shouldn’t be because of that. I also tried a WiFi connection, but no difference.

There are no other devices around the HomeBase apart from the modem/router combination, it is in the meter cupboard. I have also put the HomeBase in a different place as a test with then exactly the same problems.

Since my Eufy uses 2.4 GHz and my other devices 5.4 GHz as far as I know, I actually suspect that no devices are using the same channel, but I’d like to test that!

Which (free) app would be best for iPhone to see this easily? I have one now that I don’t understand and I don’t think it shows the necessary data.

I’d love to hear about it!

Android user here, so don’t know whats available on IOS.

The 2.4 Ghz channel doesn’t have to come from your setup. Could be neighbor. Also, interference isn’t restricted to wifi devices. I found a neighbors skill saw with bad brushes radiating harmonics bad enough to make cams on one side of my house drop out. Every time he turned the saw on, everything dropped.

Another example is a neigbor with a new dashcam in his car would drop my cams when he pulled into the driveway. Went away when the dashcam went to sleep.

If you switch router channels on your setup, its likely that the homebase will switch the channel it communicates on and that will be enough to mitigate the interference.

It doesn’t matter that you are using ethernet for your homebase. It still commuicates in the 2.4 Ghz wifi spectrum to the cams.