Updated Official Statement

I had no idea about the breach until my wife told me that someone said hello on our camera today at around 10 am. I had to search to get any information on it. I have changed my password and have the 2fa enabled. She is making remove all of them now because this is a huge privacy issue. I can’t believe they never sent out an email to inform all users of the security issue. I have been looking up information on this it all day today.

1 Like

Thankfully, I live in the UK so this didn’t affect me. Whilst I have sympathy with those affected, you have to remember that there is no such thing as zero risk and there is always a chance of errors when humans are involved; mistakes are how we learn and evolve.

What amazes me more than anything is that people dive into new technologies and services without assessing the risks and then making decisions based on their assessment. For example, I have no cameras indoors only outside; although I have nothing to hide, why would I want any chance of somebody being able to view inside my home? If you don’t want any possibility of data/security breaches then go for a ring-fenced system that’s not connected to the internet but then you won’t be able to remote view. It’s swings and roundabouts.

I’ll be more annoyed if Eufy doesn’t learn from this and it happens again.

1 Like

@Julian_isaacson Agreed, there’s always a risk with anything connected to the internet. There is never a full proof 100% guarantee for privacy. Of course every company will promote these type of claims to create the perception that individuals are protected…but human error still exists.

I guess my complaints on the most recent security breach is it was on Eufy’s end, and not user’s passwords with third parties or anything else on the consumer’s end. It was 100% all on Eufy’s reported “bug”! In my opinion it open the doors for scrutiny and trust in Eufy’s “security” brand. Especially because they tried to downplay the entire breach. No emails, or alerts through the app. Just a post in their community page, which not everyone reads…and this was only after media attention and inquiry. I mean they’ll make sure to alert individuals to their new products via their app, but couldn’t inform people of this security breach??

At the end of the day, I really do hope Eufy learns from it and makes sure it doesn’t happen again (although it seems it has continued for one user). In the meantime, I guess we should all consider that anyone, at anytime could be watching us through our cameras and there’s pretty much nothing we can do about it…other than not to own one.