Support: EUFY Security android app (v4.6.4_1686) hangs on white screen when opening

Hi all,

I’m trying to access my EUFY Security app (v4.6.4_1686) on my Android phone (ASUS Zenfone 5z running Android 8.0) but every time I try to use the app, it hangs on a white screen when opening.

I’ve done the following steps; clear the cache (still broken), clear the data (still broken), uninstall and reinstall (still broken), and even join the beta via the Google Play Store (still broken).

Any advice/troubleshooting/advice?

Others have reported issues with the latest couple of updates with older versions of Android. Eufy says their app will work from v5 on up, but bet they don’t even test the versions older than 10. I don’t have any older than 11 and the latest 2 updates work fine, but use Bluestacks and v4.6.3 and 4.6.4 have the same white screen when trying to load on v4 of Bluestacks.

If you have access to a newer android device, try the latest version on that.

Edit: I tested the latest 2 updates on Bluestacks v5 and they both failed with a white screen, just like v4. Looks like I need to spend some time trying different settings to see if I can find a fix. Since this is happening on both versions and some versions of Android, looks like Eufy made another fundamental change to their code without adequate testing. No surprise.

I have the same issue, taken about the same steps, on an Lenovo Tab P11 Plus tablet on Android 12.

I’ve been getting the same issue with iPhone 12 Pro Max on some occasions the white screen last 3-5 seconds and then disappears.

Same issues since 2022.
just blank white screen for 3 minutes before showng blue eufy.

I also got the same issue and followed the steps of the starter. only I’m running Android 13 so also on up to date Android this issue comes alive

I got the app working again by putting the app on the Denylist of magisk root.
maybe this helps others

Some android devices have aggressive battery optimization settings that restrict apps from running in the background, which can sometimes affect their functionality. Go to your device settings, find the battery or power management settings, and look for any options related to app optimizations or battery restrictions. Disable any settings that may be limiting the EUFY security app background activity. Regards

Already tried battery optimisation, whitelisting for auto-startup, etc. Afraid that’s not the issue nor fix.

I did eventually hear back from EUFY support once I provided some device logs, with the following reply:

Based on the feedback, we have conducted multiple rounds of testing internally. Under normal circumstances, devices upgraded to version 4.6.3 should not experience a white screen issue. However, due to the Security Hardening feature we have added in the 4.6.3 version, some Android devices that use Root may encounter problems with running the app properly.

If you need to use the app normally, you can try to leave your phone in an unrooted state.

Personally, I find this an unacceptable solution. I’m not going to remove control over my device due to the arbitrary (and uncommunicated) restrictions of a single app. The fact there was no communication about dropping support for rooted devices is immensely frustrating and shows a lack of consideration and change management.
I recommend rolling back where possible if you require root access, but I expect eventually the old app will stop working so I’ll be looking to get rid of my setup in the foreseeable future.
A lot of tech people picked Anker and EUFY for local storage, now with all the recent insecure networking drama and this knee-jerk reaction, I think Ubiquiti and HomeAssistant might be better (albeit more expensive) solutions.

1 Like

My tablet is not rooted at all but has thebsame problem. This happened after update at the beginning of 2023.

Sometimes take 2 ! minutes to get past white screen.

I have now 4.6.6.
same problem

I got an iPhone 14 Pro Max and my wife a 12 Pro Max, both occasionally hanging on app start. Mine freezes on the blue splash screen, my wife’s hangs on the white screen and eventually starts.

On my side the app locks the app switcher and can’t use the phone until force restarting it

1 Like

I have ios 15 and do not have experiencing the white screen as the Android problem. I use both Android and ios.

You quoted back in a previous reply in May 2023 on this thread, that you where are having white screen issues since 2022, what’s the sudden change ? it can’t be IOS update as latest IOS 16.5 and your on still IOS 15

Still have issue with Android from May2023.
my last reply is for ios 15 that I have no isdue.

It is two different OS.

Thanks for clarifying!

4.6.8 android performs with the same problem. cannot scroll through timeline.

Also, there is a message flashed quickly

“Eufy app is running in the background”.

I am also having an issue with 4.6.8, just as of last week when the app launches, it will not allow the camera to be accessed by touching as normal. It is seems to have running refresh and if I keep touching the start key it eventually launches the camera. I have a ticket open with Eufy who denotes they have not heard of this issue before.

I have done all the normal, clear cache no change, restarted app and phone no change, uninstalled and reinstalled no change, and restarted the cameras no change. I have also made sure phone and app have all updates but still no change. Turned off WIFI and used DATA no changes. This is not happening on IOS only Android both phone and tablet.

Has anyone had this issue or anything similar and have a solution or work around.

KBSMC

1 Like

New app 4.6.9.****. Android

if you check AboubDevice. under General in setting. Eufy app will crash.

the white sCreen hang improved a bit.

scrolling through timline is still problematic.

@kbartinaux

Here, exactly as you described. My app version: 4.6.8_1721.
When i delete all images from de Homebase2 the app will work for a few moments.
(I guess until a new image is recorded on the Homebase2)
My phone: Samsung s21 FE 5g.

Reply from Eufy Support: