Major Flaw - Delete Homebase data via camera

Let’s hope this will be kept. If I read “currently” it seems they are trying to allow this in the future.

My Solo OutdoorCam’s C24 received an firmware update today.
Info on the update stating that holding the SYNC button down for 10 seconds will not reset the cam.
Could this be a start for a fix?

EDIT: I just realized, if your cameras have on board storage its own memory or SD card that it records to then this firmware update for the SYNC button would not apply, if a perp was going to try to erase the footage why not just take the whole cam? This update should not have gone out to the Solo Cams.
The fix would only apply to videos that record onto the HomeBase.

My cameras have also received this update. Took Eufy almost 2 years but better late than never I guess.

I bear in mind English is not everyone’s first language and “Currently” may mean “Now”

I’ve not tested it though!

So does this change sole the issue it sounds like I’d does? And if so which cameras will it be rolled out to? My cams (2c’s) have had no such firmware update as of yet….

So it seems they have recently just made this issue even worse, at least you could still access the footage from the removed cam (Via Holding Sync Button) on there cloud storage via the web if you were prepared to pay the subscription (which I did) but now the events can not even be accessed on there cloud storage via the web as in there words “they have removed/closed the events function as they are upgrading the system”, they did not advise of a timeline that this upgrade will take.

So today I got a reply from Eufy support regarding the ticket I created last year about the sync button issue. Their response is below:

Thanks for your feedback and for providing useful information!

We are so glad to share with you, the issue “press and hold 10s Sync button erased the connection data” has been resolved.

Our engineering team has developed new firmware to address this issue. Once updated to the latest firmware, press and hold on Sync Button will not erase connection data anymore. You can update to the latest firmware version to resolve issues for your eufy Security devices.

If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to contact us at any time!

Reference TicketTNW386461594 if contacting a CSR

Yong Gates

Eufy Customer Support Engineer

Find out all about your eufy products (incl. FAQs, Tips, How-Tos, Videos) in our support center: https://support.eufylife.com

Which firmware version is it and when will it be rolled out? I don’t see that there has been any firmware update on my 2c Homebase recently and it says it’s up to date…. Let’s see if there is an update in the coming days / week but I wouldn’t hold your breath!

Which cameras and Homebase is Thai in relation to? Looking at posts above it looks like this fix only apples to home base 3 nit Homebase 2 ?

I don’t think the homebases get that update?
Just the cameras… it started rolling out in early December.

Which cameras is this applicable to? Which firmware version number is it? I still don’t have an update like this using eufy 2c cameras

Still no update for me either … I have the homebase 2 with x2 Eufy 2c cameras in the UK … :frowning:

Looking at the posts above #253 - #255 it look idk Thai firmware update and new functionality (nit using the sync button to wipe) is only for Homebase 3 and other associated series 3 cameras…… hopefully might be rolled down to homebase2 and eufy 2cs but if I am being skeptics they won’t as that will encourage you to upgrade to the latest cameras “for the best enhanced security experience” :poop:

My outdoor cam pro C24 received the firmware update version 1.0.5.4 but, I’m sure the version numbers will be different for different devices.

My 1080p Grade Doorbell Camera did not receive the firmware update. Both of my devices record onto an SD card, I have no HomeBase. Both are two years old.

Wow, that is just shocking! How on earth did this not come to ligth during Development and Testing is beyond me.

Wow, this doesn’t bode well as far as Eufy customer commitment and support is concerned :frowning:

A serious security flaw like this should be fixed in any product never mind a security product. Utter disbelief!

I can confirm that the HomeBase3 doesn’t have the same HomeBase2 SYNC button security flaw as far as I can tell, although pressing the SYNC button will still put the camera in pairing mode and while this happens the camera appears inaccessible in the Eyfy App. This might also be a concern of sorts (perhaps another thread?) given that the pairing process last for quite a while. However when the pairing process end eventually access to the camera in the app is restored and more importantly all the previous video footage is still there.

Oddly enough I’ve heard a YouTube reviewer mention it’s still an issue but I haven’t found this to be the case. Mind you I haven’t tested this extensively enough, but in any case the newer Hombase3 does seem a huge improvement over its predecessor.

However, I’m still seriously concerned about the ongoing security flaw present in HomeBase2, which I also happen to own, and Eufy’s handling of this appears to have been awful and unacceptable. It required a fix long ago and them dragging their heals for this long is a frankly disgrace :frowning:

UPDATE: Current Homebase 3 offer in Eufy App !

There’s currently a £54 off the newer Homebase 3 (£105 instead of £159) in the Eufy App here in the UK. Perhaps this is just for previous Homebase 2 owners but if you are contemplating upgrading this offer might be of interest.

NB I’m still in the process of investigating the SYNC issue further which does appear to be fixed now in the newer version so please bear this in mind. Always do your own research i.e. don’t just take my word for it and try to get clarification from the manufacturer if possible. IMO it’s worth upgrading to the new hub for the AI/Human recognition and the ability to add an SSD drive alone.

Were you able to access the prior videos of the camera from the HomeBase before the camera finished syncing? I think this is the security risk … where someone comes to break in your house, they press the sync button of the camera for 10 seconds, then destroy the camera. This would make the prior video taken by that camera inaccessible to you or law enforcement (and useless for security).

On a side note regarding the HomeBase3 (for those considering upgrading to it from HomeBase2) it has one major feature missing that the HomBase2 had - it no longer comes with WiFi, so it has to have a wired Ethernet connection to your network. The HomeBase2 allowed much greater flexibility in placement using WiFi so that you could locate it to maximize connection range with the cameras, or locate it in a discrete hidden location. I purchased the upgrade, but did not realize this reduction in capability until after I started setting it up. I ended up setting up an old router as a repeater, and used it to connect the HomeBase3 directly to the wired interface on the repeater. Having a secondary WiFi router/repeater connected to the HomeBase3 is a workable solution, but definitely not as convenient as the HomeBase2. Eufy should have been more forthcoming in their advertisements of the HomeBase3 on this reduction in capability.

This is a common misconception as the homebase 3 was always designed to have wifi connectivity and was stated on Eufys website at launch that the feature would be enabled via a firmware update in the future. This is no excuse and clearly was a sign that this product was rushed and launched prematurely but it is now available with firmware update 3.1.5.1.

no. it isnt. hopefully this gets traction and becomes more prevalent and well known before anyone buys any Eufy “security” product going forward.