License plate numbers

A big reason I bought these (eufyCam 2c pro) 4 camera kit, plus 1 add on.
Was so that I could get license plate numbers of people littering on my road and coming up my drive to turn around. I am the only driveway on a 1 mile gravel road. For whatever reason people think it’s a place to dump trash and rubbish.

The local PD says I need to get plate numbers for them to do anything.
Part of, and probably the biggest sway to buy these over others was, that in the sales marketing images on Amazon, you can clearly see the license plates of vehicles. And secondly, security.

Maybe you can tell me what I’m doing wrong.
Constructive criticism is welcome.
But I cannot make out plate numbers.
Even from as close as 8ft.
Link to videos, please alow them time to load.

All vehicles are mine. No privacy was invated for these videos.

Don’t think I have ever had a burger that looked like the ad either :slight_smile:

I upgraded to the 2k cams also for this reason. Better… yes… but not by much. Not moving and perfect lighting I can usually get a couple digits.

Had someone drive up my really long driveway… put the car in reverse and smash into my deck… hit perfectly 6 ft under my waiting camera. Hee hee! Got that plate!!!

2 Likes

@TysonSean I’ve had some luck during the day getting license plates in our back alleyway. However, it’s usually when vehicles are driving by pretty slowly. Because our alley is dirt and not a smooth surface, it helps keep vehicles from speeding.

I’m curious if there’s a way of adding something on your road (speed bumps, 2x4s, small-medium barriers, etc.) to create a choke point to slow down vehicles and setup a more ideal location to capture small details (like their plates).

1 Like

You and your small license plates :slight_smile:

In Europe almost every country has larger plates.
Here you can see a partial plate that’s over 6m/20ft away from a eufycam 2 pro on a vehicle turning out of the driveway.

2021_01_12_11_27_49__01__01

1 Like

YOU?!?! Are you talking about us stupid Americans?!?

Well ya… we do. And even worse they “allow” people to put tinted plate covers on to make it harder to read and stops laser speed detection. Not “legal” but they are cutting the police back from “petty” traffic stops like expired tabs. Ridiculous. And yes… stupid.

2 Likes

the problem with getting the license plates with theses types of cameras is not the resolution but the fps (frames per second). to get the license plates of a moving vehicle even at low speeds you need like 80+ fps (i think these types of cameras only get about 10 to 24fps). also when you figure in that for your needs you need cameras that can do all this at night, only very high dollar (usually over $400.00usd per camera) wired cameras will work.

1 Like

And the ones that cost me money all the time have a big “tuned” strobe. Grrr.

Would be fun to try the “slow them down with something” idea. Maybe even build the camera into it for the close up. My next project is the mailbox thief at my house. I have a PO Box for anything important… but even junk mail is worthy of the attempt… right!?

1 Like

one thing you might try with the system in place is put something like a speed bump to slow them down to the point where your camera can get the plate number. anything that would make them slow to a crawl at that point would allow your camera to get better focus.

1 Like

The OPs road sounds like mine. Dead end road and my long driveway. I could build a bridge and it would take 3 years before I got a notice to remove it. Figure out your cams max range and make a mess.

Currently I have a cam out 200 ft from my house. To my absolute amazement it’s working great.

To be honest… I would invest in a night vision scope and a good paintball gun… some idiot that won’t pay 25$ to properly dispose of trash isn’t going to sue me for the black and blue marks.

2 Likes

Don’t think I have ever had a burger that looked like the ad either :slight_smile:

Right!?
It’s unfortunate local PD doesn’t care about litter, only crime. I’m thinking of upgrading as well.

Re: I’m curious if there’s a way of adding something on your road (speed bumps, 2x4s, small-medium barriers, etc.)

I live in the county off a gravel road. Not sure what I could do. I don’t know what the Amish would think of a big gravel mound on the road. LOL.!

Thought about making signs, (residential /Amish traffic only) or something like that.

There’s one old man that throws his trash out almost every day. And some teenagers who like to fishtail their side by sides, tearing up the gravel.

That’s what I’m finding out, unfortunately… Sigh

Re: one thing you might try with the system in place is put something like a speed bump to slow them down

Please see link to videos. Tell me what you think I can do.
We also have a large group of Amish who travel this road. But they’re not who I’m worried about.

The road camera is at 100/125 yards from the base. I’m impressed by the range. I actually get better video from the 2c than the 2cPro at that distance. Just wish I could get plate numbers. This one old man dumps trash almost daily.

Re: You and your small license plates :slight_smile:

Haha, right!? :wink:

I’m getting a little better results from the 2c (not pro) but not by much. At this point it’s basically just a motion detection system