Can Homebase 2 data be erased by doorbell?

I just purchased & received A Eufy 2KHD video doorbell but have not opened the box. I will be pointing it at a puiblic street and don’t care if anyone can see clips on the cloud. I don’t care if it is stolen. I just don’t want the thief to be able to wipe the videos stored on the Homebase 2 so I/the police could possibly identify the thief. An Amazon customer commented::
"The doorbell has a hole in the bottom. Anyone can insert a paperclip to dislodge the unit from the wall plate mount. It takes less than 2 seconds to press the reset button and erase all captured videos, including that of the perpetrator. The unit can be stolen, including Ring and all doorbells, which is not the bad issue here. The worst part is that there is no way to retrieve the recording, unless you get the cloud based subscription like Ring.

So I called Eufy support to ask if there is any anti-theft measure they know. The answer is still NO. “It is not their business” (paraphrased). The support person did not seem to care, and only said that he will relay the concern to their engineers. Now here is the kicker: it only takes a few hours to change the software in the Base unit and the app, by adding a password protected prompt like “Ready to Erase?” when a Reset signal is triggered. Any of computer science students can tackle it as a homework assignment, given the source code."

Is this correct? The date can be erased by opening the doorbell outside? Are any files stored on the phone by the app? There is no password prompt to restrict erasure? There is no way to block the pinhole access with a security screw (like Ring)?

I chose a Eufy to avoid cloud storage fees and because the storage was inside rather than in an board SD card.that could be stolen with the doorbell. If the above is true, this is a showstopper. I have until Jan 31, 2022 to return it.

I would appreciate any insights.

Yes any recordings can be deleted from the Homebases with the push of a button on the cameras or doorbells, which obviously defies the purpose of a Homebase …

Thanks for the confirmation, even though it is not what I wanted to hear.

BTW, I am not sure if you are an official admin or just a user, but there is a simple, quick solution for the concern maNy have of unauthorized, unencrypted phoning clips home.

Many good routers, and/or ones that allow custom firmware can block outgoing internet traffic for a device.

for instance, in Asus Merlin- click the bubble above “view client list”. Don’t click view client list.

Then you’ll have a list that you can select each one and be given options like disable internet access.

Just a user…