Big Bug in Android v4.6.0_1630 (US) of Eufy Security App

I recently noticed a bug in some related Eufy Security App features – stuff that I don’t use often.

I have a HomeBase 2 and some EufyCam 2s; I use an Android (v10) phone to play with my Eufy stuff; everything has worked perfectly since install back in Dec 2021.

Yesterday, I tried downloading clips and though I was told that the clips were saved to my phone album, the clips were simply nowhere to be found. I also discovered that the Share (clip) feature was no longer working, nor could I record a live feed; Eufy App kept crashing when I tried the Share (clip) or Record Live Feed features.
Back in January (of this year) I had succesfully downloaded some clips.

I reloaded Eufy App; even reset my Android phone and reloaded everything from scratch (didn’t restore backups).

I then downgraded to v4.5.5_1572(US) of the Eufy Security App (released in late January 2023); voila – all is well.

Hope this helps others.
-Josh

PS. I have spoken with Eufy Support twice today; while easy to get ahold of and very pleasant to talk to, they did not provide any useful help. I can’t believe I am the only person having this problem.

I tried the same tests and got differing results for different devices. My Android 11 phone worked fine with Eufy v4.60. Several older devices on Android 8 and 10 failed to record live views and events using V4.60, duplicating @Jos5974’s results.

Looks like Eufy’s lack of testing has bit us again. Maybe they should just fire all their developers and start over.

1 Like

thanks for the info – at least I am not crazy.

Same problems here. Downloading clips goes instantly from 0%-100% and says it was saved, but they are not being saved. Before, the progress from 0%-100% took some time and it would save clips. App keeps crashing despite restarting the app and my device. When viewing recordings, it randomly, and often, jumps to 00:00 time in the timeline. I’m unable to record any live streaming clips as well. These issues are affecting multiple types of Eufy cameras.

How can I downgrade to 4.5.5_1572 firmware? Is there a secure place to download old version .apk files? And how do I install an old version, if it’s not a simple matter of clicking on an .apk and Android 10 installing it automatically?

I have been using APKMirror.com for several years to download older Eufy apps. They keep older versions and I haven’t had any issues with the apps I have downloaded.

One caveat. When you pick a version of the Eufy app you want, it will show you 2 downloads of the same app, but different sizes. Always pick the one that doesn’t say bundle, as that will give you some other apps they think you might like.

You should be able to uninstall the current version and then install an older version. If that doesn’t work, try restarting the phone and then install the older version.

1 Like

Thanks to all who added their input (experiences and advice)…

I downloaded my older version from:

I used the following website for info on how to install an APK…

Note that you will have to turn auto-updates OFF for the Eufy App…

Also note that Eufy App will then ask about upgrades when launched…simply close that dialog window.

Eufy Support tells me that my case has been bumped up their support tier.

FYI – I am a semi-retired high tech plumber (network engineer) – am 58, have worked with computers since I was 6 (literally) and hate them all… this silly matter reminds me why. [END RANT]

My Android Eufy app 4.6.1630 (us). crashed during clip download.
Eufy is going downhill.
So when Eufy posted fixing bugs is not really great.

Going back to 4.5.5 is a solution but
You need to submit log and feedback.
More feedback report problem . eufy may fix the problem faster.

ios had no issue. with downloading app

Seems not too many user has this downloading problem?

Thanks to everyone sharing insight about rolling back to previous .apk versions. I rolled back to 4.5.5 and it appears to have restored some of the lost functionality and fixed the broken features. I had a little trouble installing the app until I uninstalled the existing up to date version of the app. Also had to enable “install from uknown sources”, but once I did that, I got the old version installed.

A Fix is in the works…Update from EUFY

Here’s a copy of an email I just received.

Dear josh,

Hope this email finds you well!

I’m really sorry for your wait. Based on the analysis, we’re aware that it is a known issue existing in Android at the current stage. Our R&D team is actively investigating and new software will be released to fix this issue. Could you please wait for some days?

I appreciate your patience and if I missed something or you’ve got additional questions, please do not hesitate to email me back, I am here ready to help you.

Best Regard,

Reference Ticket xxxxxxx if contacting a CSR

Aimee

Eufy Customer Support Engineer

You also want to turn off Auto-Update for Apps.
This results in an “update available” message when Eufy loads; simply clear it of course.

Yeah, noticed this a few weeks ago, used to be so easy to download to phone or share, but since last update its impossible, the download status goes straight to 100% and many times the app will crash, I also see the app restart in normal use when viewing video. Shame that things get rolled out without proper testing… but still a good system ( when it is working OK ).

yup; world peace is not at stake but typical computer/software crap that I’ve dealt with for 40 years (really). Anycase, at least misery loves company. See previous posts about reverting to an older version of the Eufy App.

I had a similar problem where I wasn’t able to download any video clips on Android, where the app would crash any time you tried.

The problem was fixed after I reported it to Eufy support, however it came back after an app upgrade.

I was able to download an older APK (v4.6.3_1668, from May 5, 2023) and install it as in the posts above, after which I was able to download clips with no problem.

However, the app has after a few days automatically updated from the Google Play store back to a faulty version (v4.6.9_1733). I will be happy if I can carry on using the older version.

In the Google Play store, there are settings to turn off updates for all apps or just individual apps, although I’m yet to see if I can do that successfully.

v4.7.0-1474 still crash whikebtrying to downliad clips.

“about device” also crash the app

My Android phone cannot share or save clips any more after it automatically updated to Eufy V4.7.01747

After failing for a few months between Feb and April It worked for a while on previous version ( between about late April and late June 2023 ), but Eufy seem to be going backwards with their software…

If I try to share or download a video the ‘decrypting and downloading’ stays on 0% and the display blanks out after a few seconds…

Roll back to a previous version and turn off auto-update apps on your phone. I never let Google update apps. That way you get a list off apps that have updates and you can pick which apps to update and when. Keeps the surprises to a manageable level.

I am currently on 4.6.1_1655 on one of my older devices and that version works well. My phone and tablet are using Android 12 and 13 and work well on the current app version.

Correct - thanks for your reply as well. Per my original post – current Eufy stuff on Andrioid 10 does NOT work - one must roll back to earlier versions. Current Eufy stuff on Android 13 (and per your post, Android 12) works fine. thanks again for your post.

Cannot download clips neither with current version of Android Eufy app.

just crash Eufy app. Android 7 OS