ATTN:EufyBUFFs, please From:NOOB -- Need help to connect Doorbell to WIFI -- ALL in ONE INFO DUMP

After at least 2 weeks and one return exchange, I am still unable to connect my eufy Doorbell Dual (wired) to my router.

I hope I can gather all the need-to-know in this one thread for me and anyone else in need.

Things to know that would be helpful:

• Mobile phone
    What settings to toggle on / off other than Wifi and/or Bluetooth? e.g. Airplane, Location

• Router
    What settings other than 2.4GHz and WPA2 should I know about before attempting to pair the eufy device? e.g., DNS preference, whitelisted ports, whitelisted domains, static ip addresses

• Does this eufy device have any conflicts with certain routers? (Iā€™m pretty sure this is a router problem.)

• Are there any idiosyncracies eufy device has with brand devices or firmware?

• Anything I need to make sure is OFF or ON? ā€¦ does VPN matter?

Thanks,
L.

ā€¦

(My other eufy device worked without a hitch. It only took a few attempts, and I didnā€™t need to be ā€œnext to the router.ā€

So whatā€™s the deal?)

I installed my Eufy wired doorbell that used the Homebase about a year ago and I do not remember I needed to do any special settings for the Wifi. In my experience with installing devices that do not support 5GHz, I would temporarily disable 5GHz until the installation is successful. My router is DP-Link Deco and I have no problems with my Eufy doorbell or Eufy cameras. A lot of time Wifi connection issues have to do with signal strength where the device is and I believe if I remember correctly you donā€™t have to rely solely on the Homebase to communicate with the Eufy devices and can use an extender to strengthen the signals where you need to. I donā€™t use VPN or any special means to connect any of my Eufy Devices. I hope this helps.

Just so you know, my doorbell recently started to ring randomly usually just once a day and it has occurred three times now and the app registered no one at the door so somehow something caused my chime to ring. I use an existing mechanical chime with my Eufy doorbell. I posted a query in this forum a week or so ago but received zero response so far.

I have the wired doorbell dual, and I believe that does not use HomeBase.

But yeah, I switched over from Wyze, soooā€¦

Hey L,

I may have a solution for you! I was not able to connect my wired doorbell dual either. Turns out it was because the wifi network was hidden!

My other eufy products can connect to a hidden network with no issue, just the doorbell canā€™t.

Hope it helps you lol. By the way what version are you on? I have not had an update for a while.

Yeah. Sorry, my wifi network is not hidden.

I donā€™t know what you mean by ā€œversionā€, since I havenā€™t even got my dual working yet.

Thatā€™s too bad. Try hotspotting on your phone with wifi and data. Might be router.

The setup is pretty much Plug and Play to make it easy for the consumer. Unless you have set up your router with special settings out of the typical Norm. At what point of the setup does it fail at?
How far is the router? Needs to be within 30 ft.

Perform a hard reset on your doorbell by holding down the ā€œSYNCā€ button for 8 seconds, and wait 30 seconds - and repeating the setup process.
This may helpā€¦

Attempts fail at the very last step after scanning QR code and waiting to connect to Wifi, having the device just less than 5 feet away.

I have done hard reset, as I was told to wait for 1 beep, and then another 2 beeps.

My ā€œSYNCā€ button is a metal pin, instead of a tactile button.

ā€¦

Do 2.4GHz channels matter? ā€¦ I have my router at ch.11

ā€¦

Also, I do use a ddwrt firmware, that hasnā€™t really had any specific customized tweaks done.

Tried to upload device logs for failed attempts. But the QR code Eufy asked me to scan does not qualify.

First, there is only one QR code behind the doorbell dual; itā€™s a small QR code with tiny string of characters. It turns out all it relays is the Serial Number.

I canā€™t even find the right 8 numbers for the manual input for the device.

Nothing. seems. to. work.

This device too new, or what?

I canā€™t find any information about solutions to these problems.

The 2.4 GHz channel doesnā€™t matter. DDWRT shouldnā€™t either. DD-WRT gives you more control over your connection. In other words, it allows you to dedicate more bandwidth to certain devices if you wish to do so.

Now I donā€™t have this doorbell but I was reading the setup manual. Specifically Step 3 where it tells you to add the device to the app and complete the instructions. Then where Step 11 tells you to mount the doorbell to the bracket to power up the doorbell wait until the doorbell ring flashes blue then follow instructions to connect to your home Wi-Fi.
Is this the way you are doing it?

Iā€™ve been setting up the device first before installing it in its place. All the while, just following the app step-by-step. Iā€™ve seen YouTubers do the same.

And Iā€™ve done the same process with my Floodlight 2 Pro, without a problem.

ALRIGHTYā€¦ My problem is solved!

Eufy support repsonded to my email today.

First, the obvious: router @ 2.4GHz and WPA2

THEN:
wifi network router password should be NO LONGER than 33 characters, AND should not contain dollar sign ($), asterisk (*), or an apostrophe. ( ā€™ / " )

I tried a few times and it worked pretty well.

Thank you Faye!

1 Like

Wow I wrote a really long post about the issue I heard about 2.4 ghz and 5ghz routers causing connection issues with eufy if they use the same SSID for both bands and had to delete it.

But hey glad to know you found the issue. They should add this to the troubleshooting guide.

Id argue against 2.4ghz not mattering as last year there were articles of many people stating routers that used the same SSID for both 2.4 ghz band and 5ghz band caused connection issues with eufy devices.

Spoke to Eufy support over the phone again:

Apparently, the WIRED dual must be ā€œchargedā€ in the first place. Most CSR assume that my doorbell is wired, etc. so it can be easily connected to wifi through HomeBase.

But apparently, for some reason, a USB microcable from an outlet adapter cannot ā€œchargeā€ the WIRED dual fast enough for it to power on. In other words, you canā€™t use a phone charger to charge a WIRED dual.

So I thought that was a strange factoid.

I think eufy support just made that upā€¦ (load of :poop:)
Why have a micro USB port on it if you canā€™t use it?

Is this the doorbell you have?

yep. thatā€™s the one.

in any case, thatā€™s what one CSR supposedly said. ā€¦ I spoke to another today, and she said ā€œ???ā€

But I did need to bypass the transformer to get the device working, and I ended up setting up the device outside my front doorā€¦ so, thereā€™s that.

ā€¦

I also think the 33 character might be not be a thing, because my floodlight can handle longer passwords.

First, I think there are a few things you havenā€™t mentioned regarding your efforts to get connected to Wi-Fi, so i want to address a couple of basics that you should know and/or attempt in order to assure successful connectivity between your wireless router and the Eufy wired doorbell.

I cannot stress enough the importance of two things:

1. make certain beyond all doubt that any pre-existing doorbell wiringā€”particularly output(s) from a step-down transformer rated to power the linear solenoid actuators in old chimesā€”is capable supplying stable & consistent voltage(s) adequate for the minimum demands of your new Wired 2K Video Doorbell module!

:small_orange_diamond:If you do not heed the following voltage requirements, rest assured that the internal electronics within the doorbell module will either NOT function at all, or will function improperly due to engineering specifications being unmet.:small_orange_diamond:

:zap: It is ESSENTIAL that your old / existing (or any replacement) doorbell transformer consistently transmits NO LESS THAN 16 VAC and NO MORE than 24VAC. (That is alternating current, not direct just to be clear. I have seen specs that indicate 30VA and it should be known that VAC & VA arenā€™t the same).

:zap::zap: Bottom line, a simple test of the transformer output can be performed using a basic volt meter and if you arenā€™t comfortable performing this test then I highly RECOMMEND hiring a qualified electrician or enlisting the assistance of someone who is able to responsibly perform the test for you.

:zap::zap::zap: The other option is to just purchase & install a NEW doorbell transformer with the necessary specifications from Loweā€™s, Home Depot or similar retailer. By replacing your old transformer with a NEW one, you guarantee a chance for success
The eufy wired doorbell requires 16-
24VAC, 30VA or above voltage.
Consult Eufy INSTALLATION TUTORIALS for more info about how to connect your Eufy Wired Doorbell with TRANSFORMER and CHIME, as well as how to hardwire your Eufy Wired Doorbell without existing wires.

:no_entry_sign: This is not negotiableā€¦:no_entry_sign:

For ROCK SOLID PERFORMANCE you must supply the mandated voltage & current levels in order sustain uninterrupted, error-free operation of numerous integrated pieces of complex internal circuitry that Eufy smartly managed to fit into one compact wired module that along with a small remote plug-in chime (and a stable Wi-Fi signal) comprises your very powerful 2K Video Doorbell.

1. The second thing that is essential is HAVING A GOOD, RELIABLE and ROBUST WI-FI SIGNAL JUST OUTSIDE THE DOOR WHERE YOUR WIRED DOORBELL MODULE WILL BE INSTALLED.

I can provide detailed explanation of how to check for and verify this using an Android or iPhone, or tablet, laptop etc, but would need to know your particular setup & preferred hardware such as the smartphone you would be using before i would venture too far into this topic.

:small_orange_diamond: PLEASE NOTE: This Eufy Wired Video Doorbell DOES NOT CONNECT TO 5GHz Wi-Fiā€¦it strictly uses 2.4GHz Wi-Fi, so check for the least congested channel or better still, if you have a relatively new, high quality router, especially if you are using a MESH NETWORK like meā€¦just let the Gateway / Router handle the channel selection, wireless radio levels, security and encryption.

Sidenote: If your router isnā€™t set to automatically update firmware to fix security vulnerabilities, then MANUALLY UPDATE IT or turn on auto update feature.

If it is an old model that isnā€™t ā€œofficiallyā€ supported any longer, then I suggest you consider investing a little (not a lot) in newer more advanced Wi-Fi hardwareā€¦ or get comfortable with the likelihood your network will get hacked or otherwise end up compromised by opportunistic cyber criminals.

Hope this helps put you on the path for success!

Cheersā€¦
BRENDšŸ’«N