2k wired doorbell wiring issue

Trying to install 2k wired doorbell. I am not using old chime, simply trying to wire door bell wire straight to transformer. Blew 24v 40va transformer the first time I had everything wired and flipped breaker on. Second time I tried adding a ring 50W 25RJ resistor in between the doorbell and transformer on one of the wires. Resistor got so hot it burned my finger and almost started a fire. Door bell still did not light up. Turned off power, disconnected both wires from transformer and resistor and connected the two doorbell wires together and went and checked for continuity on those wires outside, got a reading just under 1 ohm. It is 18 ga wire running to doorbell from transformer. Bought a few feet of 14ga wire and wired it inside the house with the resistor in line of one of the wires. Camera powered right up and diagnostic checked out fine and I was able to setup the camera through the app. Tried one last time wiring it to the wires going to the outside where the doorbell should go and resistor again became increasingly hot and I showed 0 volts outside at the doorbell. Disconnected and ready to return for battery operated. Any thoughts? A short somewhere in the wiring going to the doorbell? My old chime doorbell worked fine before removing to install the video doorbell.